Student Assistance Counselor
RHODE ISLAND STUDENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
STUDENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
- Grades: Sudden changes in grades, lack of interest in academic subjects, overly concerned about getting good grades (under extreme pressure to do well).
- Attendance: Attendance or tardiness problems.
- Disruptive Behaviors in Classrooms: Class clown, attention-seeking behaviors, consistently disruptive. ** Some of these are indicators of emotional difficulties that are hiding behind these behaviors
- Involvement with Disciplinary System: Consistently in trouble and child does not learn when redirected or give consequences for behaviors.
- Legal Problems: Legal difficulties, arrests, probation, NFT's (No Further Trouble)
- Problems with Extracurricular Activities: Child's interest declines, participation declines.
- Problems at Home: Any difficult situation at home (divorce, new baby, death in family, remarriage, family member with drug or alcohol problem, etc).
- Alcohol or Other Drug-Specific Behaviors or Indications: Child freely talks about his/her use; child has unusual knowledge about alcohol or drugs for his/her age.
- Peer Issues: Child is a bully; child is being bullied, recent change in friends, etc.
- Your child tells her that someone is hurting him/her.
- Your child tells her that he/she is going to hurt him/herself.
- Your child tells her that he/she is going to hurt someone else.
Just Think Twice - Facts about drugs
MADD - Information about drunk driving
notMYkid - Parents dealing with teen addiction
National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) - Latest statistics and research about drug abuse and addiction
SAM - Smart Approaches to Marijuana
Drug Free America - Help for families struggling with substance abuse